What toiletries to pack for a cruise is often the last thing people think about when preparing for their cruise vacation, however it is important. While cruise ships do have small stores onboard that sell the essentials, they have limited hours, only a small selection and are often expensive.
When travelling you want to be prepared for everything which makes it easy to forget something. That’s where this ultimate cruise toiletries packing list comes in. Here you will also find personal hygiene products to bring on a cruise, medications to pack on a cruise and first aid travel items.
This article containsaffiliate links. If you click a link and make a purchase I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information please see theDisclosure page.
What toiletries to pack for a cruise
This toiletries packing list for a cruise includes personal hygiene items, general health and maintenance items, as well as must pack cruise first aid items.
When deciding what toiletries to pack for a cruise, consider your situation, daily needs and possible needs. Some of these items might not apply to you and there may be an item or two that you need to add that is specific to you, however this is a great start in determining what toiletries to bring on your cruise.
Our Ultimate Cruise Planner & Journal is now available on Etsy. It is perfect for every step of the cruise process, from planning to preparing to remembering. 36 cute and helpful pages. Check it out here.
Check out the cruise planner here
What is the best toiletry bag for a cruise?
Many experiened cruisers agree that a hanging toiletry bag is best for a cruise. The bathrooms on a cruise ship are small, hanging your toiletry bag on the back of the bathroom door saves precious counter space. A hanging toiletry bag with clear pockets helps keeps things visible and organized.
Here are some hanging toiletry bags to consider.
Clicking on any of the above pictures will take you to Amazon (affiliate links) to have a closer look.
Personal hygiene items to bring on a cruise
- Dental floss
- Travel sized mouth wash
- Shampoo – Most cruise lines do provide shampoo, however if you want to bring your own or prefer a certain brand then add shampoo to your cruise packing list.
- Conditioner – Some cruise lines do provide conditioner, however some don’t. Carnival Cruises for example provides shampoo but not conditioner.
- Body wash
- Extra razor blades
- Feminine hygiene products
- Birth control
Hair and make up products to bring on a cruise
- Face wash
- Face cream
- Lip balm with spf
- Make up (pack what you normally wear or would wear for a night out)
- Hair products (pack what you normally use – curl cream, hair spray, mousse, heat protectant spray etc)
- Hair straightener and/or curling iron
- Hair elastics and/or scrunchies
- Hair clips or pins
11 Clever Packing Tips You Need To Know
The Only Things You Need In Your Cruise Carry On
What To Pack In Your Shore Excursion Bag (Caribbean)
27 Smart Cruise Cabin Organization Tips
Health and General toiletries to bring on a cruise
- Aloe vera or other after sun lotions
- Lip balm with SPF
- Vitamins in original containers (if you take supplements)
- Travel sized Kleenex
- Nail file
- Travel sized sewing kit
- Wrinkle release spray
- Tide stain remover stick
- A few zip loc bags (perfect if any liquid or cream containers get a crack)
- Lint roller
- Eye glass repair kit
- A few safety pins (you never know when you need these)
- Sea Bands
- Contact lens solution
Medication and First Aid Items to Bring on a Cruise
- Any prescription medications – Keep them in their original containers and always keep them in your carry on. Always be sure you have a couple extra days worth of medication should your trip get delayed.
- Band-Aids – pack a variety of sizes. They are great for protecting against and helping with blister pain as well as for cuts and scrapes.
- Antibiotic ointment
- Travel sized antibiotic spray – I like to carry this in my shore excursion bag
- Hand sanitizer
- Pain relieving medication
- Throat lozenges (ex/ Halls, Fisherman’s Friend)
- Heartburn prevention medication (if you use)
- Heartburn remedy
- Upset stomach medication
- Cold medication
- Seasickness medication – For non medicated ways to help with sea sickness click here.
If you are travelling with children, make sure you have both adult and child versions of the above.
Do cruise ships have hair dryers?
This is a common question. Cruise ships do have hair dryers in all the staterooms. It is usually the smaller ones often found in hotels. I find that this works fine for me during the cruise, but if you have room in your suitcase and prefer to pack you own then you can.
Do I need to pack shampoo for a cruise?
Cruise ships do provide shampoo, but not all provide conditioner. Carnival Cruise lines is one of the cruise lines that does not have conditioner in the staterooms. If you are particular about the shampoo you use, you can pack your own, otherwise save the packing space.
Can I bring full sized shampoo on a cruise?
Yes you can bring full sized toiletries on a cruise such as shampoo and conditioner. Cruise lines don’t have limits on the sizes of liquid/gel toiletries like the airlines do for carry on. Keep in mind though that if you are flying to board your cruise ship, you will have to follow the stricter airline rules.
Can you bring a hair straightener on a cruise?
Hair straighteners are allowed on cruises. Be sure it is in good working order (no damaged cord etc), as the cruise staff can confiscate it for the duration of the cruise should they feel it poses a fire hazard.
Can you bring a curling iron on a cruise?
Yes, curling irons are allowed on cruise ships. Again same with straighteners, it must be in good working order and not a fire hazard.